The University City Arts League (UCAL) is seeking two-three Teaching Artists for a three or six hour workshop. UCAL is a multi-disciplinary community art center and is seeking artists versed in several disciplines including ceramics, printmaking, and 2-d and 3-d mixed media.
Teen Art Lab is a 12-week art workshop series held at the University City Arts League on Saturdays from 1-4 pm, January 16th through April 2nd. Ten teens will work with dedicated teaching artists who are active in their field. Classic techniques and contemporary practices will be explored. Everything from ceramic sculpture to creative writing will be studied in the twelve-week series of workshops. Youth will learn techniques that highlight different elements of a formal fine arts degree program. Participation is at no cost to students, and UCAL will provide all supplies and materials needed. This program is only open to teens in grades 10-12 who live or attend school in West Philadelphia.
UCAL is a nonprofit organization dedicated to education and cultural enrichment in the arts. We have three primary imperatives: (1) To provide a venue for people of diverse backgrounds to experience the arts; (2) To encourage and support the development of the arts; and (3) To bring the arts to the community through partnership and educational outreach. We pursue these imperatives through classes, exhibits, performances and special events giving particular attention to emerging and local artists.
Visiting Teaching Artist Roles and Responsibilities
- Instructor must be prompt and have clear written/verbal communication skills
- During class time, teachers deliver a high quality workshop in their medium.
- Teachers create unique and relevant class content appropriate for teens.
- Instructor guides students to a completed high quality project.
Visiting Teaching Artist Qualifications
- At least 3 years experience working with teens in person or in a group or school setting
- Firm understanding of curriculum and content
- Classroom management skills and comfort with diverse learning styles
- Ability to communicate with UCAL staff regarding student and classroom issues and willingness to occasionally talk with the class facilitator or administrators about students progress and/or issues.
Visiting Artist ‘visit’ for one or two classes, at a rate of $28.00/hr for one hour of planning, and three hours of instruction. A total payment for one class will be $112, and two classes will be $196.
If your background, interest and experience are compatible with this opportunity, please send a cover letter, a resume, and two references to email@example.com. Please write TEEN ART LAB in the subject line. No phone calls, please.