The University City Arts League (UCAL) is seeking part-time Teaching Artists for our outreach program. UCAL is a multi-disciplinary community art center and is seeking artists versed in digital music, podcasting, dancing, acting, writing, ceramics, printmaking, fashion, animation, drawing, painting, and 3-d mixed media.
University City Arts League Artist Residency pairs Teaching Artists with public school classrooms in West Philadelphia to explore the arts. Residencies generally last from six to twelve weeks. Our Teaching Artists are the most important part of our programs. They introduce students to new mediums and techniques, as well as foster young people’s imaginations and knowledge. The outreach program is at no cost to schools, and programming is decided and created through partnership.
The Arts League is a nonprofit organization dedicated to education and cultural enrichment in the arts. We have three primary imperatives: (1) To provide a venue for people of diverse backgrounds to experience the arts; (2) To encourage and support the development of the arts; and (3) To bring the arts to the community through partnership and educational outreach. We pursue these imperatives through classes, exhibits, performances and special events giving particular attention to emerging and local artists.
Visiting Teaching Artist Roles and Responsibilities
- Instructor must be prompt and have clear communication skills
- During class time, teachers deliver a high quality class content in their specialized medium
- Teachers create unique and relevant class content appropriate for the age and skill level of students served.
- Instructor guides students to a completed high quality project(s)
Visiting Teaching Artist Qualifications
- At least 3 years experience working win person or in a group or school setting
- Firm understanding of curriculum and content
- Classroom management skills and comfort with diverse learning styles
- Ability to communicate with UCAL staff regarding student and classroom issues and willingness to occasionally talk with the class facilitator or administrators about students progress and/or issues
You must be fully vaccinated to work within the Philadelphia Public School District.
Teaching Artists are paid a rate of $28.00/hr. Individual residencies for Lead Teaching Artists average a 26 hour total over two to three months.
If your background, interest, and experience are compatible with this opportunity, please send a cover letter, a resume, and two references to email@example.com. Please write LEAD OUTREACH in the subject line. No phone calls, please.